Saturday

To mark the fifth anniversary of the London bombings, I have published below some email correspondence from that weird and wretched week in July 2005:


On 6 Jul 2005, at 13:20 Richard DeDomenici wrote:

Hello.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to Make Britain Proud?

Preferably in less than 18 characters?

Submissions are welcome for a new project to utilize the now redundant 'Make Britain Proud - Back The Bid' stickers adorning London Underground trains.

Here are some of mine: Join The Euro, Decommission Trident, Buy A Rover, Destabilize The Monarchy and Kill Rachel Stevens.

In other news, I'm a bit concerned that my work may have lost some of its subversive edge.

You see, while many of my brave contemporaries are getting battered by riot police in Gleneagles, I am doing very little in a posh hotel in London.

By following the detailed instructions given in the 1980 government booklet Protect and Survive, I have constructed a domestic nuclear fallout shelter in room 163 of the Great Eastern Hotel. The bunker is assembled from fixtures and fittings scavenged from around the room. To add a performative element to the installation I am sleeping in the bunker for the next ten days.

Therefore you are cordially invited to visit me and attack my principles, or lack thereof.

In return I will offer you a a cup of tea, a biscuit and a free copy of my new publication, Intelligence Failure.

Email me back or gimme a call, and I'll endeavour to make sure that I'm in.

Visit http://www.stayatgeh.com for further details.

Richard x

This is a sporadic email from the Richard Dedomenici Mailing List. If you have received this email it is because you have in the past either emailed me or given me your email address, so it's your own fault in a way. Alternatively someone on the list might have emailed it to you, in which case blame them.

UNSUBSCRIBE

To be removed from the Richard Dedomenici Mailing List, reply to this message with the word "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line.

SUBSCRIBE

If you have been forwarded this e-mail from a friend and wish to be subscribed to the Richard Dedomenici Mailing List, reply to this message with the word "SUBSCRIBE" in the subject line.

UNUNSUBSCRIBE

If you have previously unsubscribed from the Richard Dedomenici Mailing List, have been forwarded this e-mail from a friend, and as a consequence wish to resubscribe, reply to this message with the word "UNUNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line.

If you have accidentally been sent this email twice, reply to this message with the word "I'VEACCIDENTALLYBEENSENTTHISEMAILTWICE" in the subject line.

DISCLAIMER: The views in this email do not necessarily represent those of Richard Dedomenici.

JonB

Wed, Jul 6, 2005 at 1:32 PM

you want me to link you on pixelsurgeon now mr dedomenici?

hope you are well

jon

Marcus

Wed, Jul 6, 2005 at 1:34 PM

how can i resist, my friend?

(i nearly wrote "how can i resist my friend" - but thought it would give the wrong impression)...

i could come and see you next tuesday night, say 9-9.30 ish? (i am going to walthamstow for something and could wend my way back that way...)

m

JonF

Wed, Jul 6, 2005 at 1:57 PM

make poor people happy

Jon

Leon

Wed, Jul 6, 2005 at 2:14 PM

Make Britain Proud -

Slap an American

Watch More TV

Shoplift Your Tea

Put The Seat Down

Emigrate

Helen

Wed, Jul 6, 2005 at 2:33 PM

Well my dear one-man subversion think tank

Well according to Chirac it would be to 'Teach the English how to cook'.

Oh, and enjoy the rest of the free cherries at the GEH. They won't last

forever. And if you want to be subversive, why not dig your way out of your

own room. [I can sneak in the tools]

Helen xx

Zoe

Wed, Jul 6, 2005 at 3:00 PM

Dick,

Just a quickie to say I hope you're managing to get a comfortable night's

sleep in your bunker and that you're not getting too lonely.

Much love,

Zoe. XXX

Christopher

Wed, Jul 6, 2005 at 3:20 PM

How about 'Make Britain Proud' - Fear yourself - love your enemies.

Cx

Toby

Wed, 06 July 2005 15:10:17

Hey Richard

I stay at the GE frequently and am a member there- are you actually going to

be there at any time I want to pop by?

Also, do I need to bring any sort of Geiger counter or protective clothing?

Or even to feed you scraps? Do you still have all your own hair and teeth?

toby

Denna

Wed, 06 July 2005 15:42:42

Bite Bush. I'd say Kill Bush but someone would get arrested. tell me when you def will be in residence at Grt eastern street and i'll pop along for a cup o tea!

Nic

Wed, Jul 6, 2005 at 4:21 PM

Eat more chips!

drink more tea!

(re)cycle more!

cut your hair!

clean behind your ears!

funny I should recieve an email form you today , as only this morning I was looking at the Laboratory of Insurrectionary Imagination website and loving it (but not a biblical sense)... I'll be passing through londinium this weekend, so if I can divert by a few hours I'll be sure to get in touch as I'd love to see your bunker and drink some tea.

don't feel bad about not being in scotland this week - The most right on thing I've done this G8 summit has been to turn off Live8 on my TV when Mariah Carey came on.

peace out

Nic

Jethro

Wed, 06 July 2005 17:23:20

By simply misspelling it...

X jethro

Ant

Wed, Jul 6, 2005 at 6:58 PM


make britain proud - make karaoke history

Kerry

Wed, Jul 6, 2005 at 7:47 PM

hi richard

happy to help

for a start how about

"embrace the exotic"

i hope i can get to london to taunt you in your shelter - if not i may email

to "attack your principles" if that's ok????

good luck with it

kerry

Maxie

Thu, Jul 7, 2005 at 9:12 AM

Will you be in this Saturday?

Best,

Maxie

Dan

Thu, 07 July 2005 12:55:07

Hi Richard, I hope you're ok and safe in your shelter, would love to meet

you in there. I'm very sad about the attacks - lemme know you ok

Cheers d

NeilPe

Thu, Jul 7, 2005 at 1:25 PM

Yet again you capture the mood of the nation, good timing to be building

a bomb shelter in London right now. Have a contraversial free few days

rest.

Art reflects life.

Neil.

Bryony

Thu, Jul 7, 2005 at 4:09 PM

hello,

what about 'slay a terrorist'

just checking you are ok after todays horrible escapades. i was evacuated from euston but nothing awful. weird really.

will try and get to GE are you there in the evening?

bry x

NeilPa

Thu, Jul 7, 2005 at 11:01 PM

Hi my funny little friend. Firstly I hope you are well and keeping yourself out of the any of the recent terrible events in London.

I think your website is great, did you build it yourself? Sorry i cant make your show but i will try and keep an eye on what you are doing through your site.

It was good to see you at the wedding, thanks for making the trip.

I hope to see you soon

Neil

NeilPa

Thu, 07 July 2005 23:05:33

my slogan by the way is

Terrorists are cocksuckers

I hope that is ok

PaulNY

Fri, Jul 8, 2005 at 3:23 AM

Dear Richard:

Email me that you're OK.

Your art friend,

Maybe you need to do some art on keeping fear inside.

a huge 'stiff upper lip"

Paul

Silke

Fri, 08 July 2005 12:13:40

Hi Richard,

I am glad you will sleep in a bunker.

Of course, you could not know how much sense it would make.

Make Britain Proud?

Only one way to make you lots proud:

Win against the Germans in what ever way.

(feel free to edit or add war, football, drinking, sex...)

Lots of love

hope to see ya soon

Silke xx

On Fri, 08 July 2005 at 14:19:39 Richard DeDomenici wrote:

I'm fine thanks.

Got evacuated from my nuclear bunker, though.

Thereby discovering a possible flaw in my methodology.

rx

Maxie

Fri, 08 July 2005 14:21:56

Glad you're okay! Will call. Is there a particular

time you'll be in?

Best,

Max

A/Ida

Mon, 11 July 2005 04:38:34

Dear Richard,

That hotel is near one of those train stations mentioned in the news, right? How about giving your minions a shout out, to let us all know you are fine and dandy? It was eerie getting that e-mail, then a few days later, seeing pics of the chaos in London on the TV.

Apropos of nothing I write from the flatlands of Beverly Hills, where on occasion really old celebrities get out of bed.

Best,

A/Ida

Mike

Tue, 12 July 2005 14:54:42

congratulations - you won the bid !